Click here to listen to a reading of this blog:
Originally published on 7th April 2016 Last updated on 16th August 2019
As well as all the millions of people who are suspected to have thyroid problems worldwide (although as many as 60% aren’t aware they do), there are some people in the public eye who also have them.
Celebrities with Hypothyroidism
- Pop star Rachel Stevens has an underactive thyroid.
- Singer Leona Lewis has Hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism.
- Singer Kelly Clarkson has Hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism.
- Actress and presenter Sherrie Hewson has hypothyroidism.
- Actress Gena Lee Nolin has Hashimoto’s Disease.
- Oprah Winfrey had hyperthyroidism first, then hypothyroidism.
- Fitness Guru Jillian Michaels has hypothyroidism.
- Musician Rod Stewart was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2000.
- Musician Sia Furler was diagnosed with Graves’ Disease in 2010 and had to have radioactive iodine therapy that made her hypothyroid.
- Former US President George H. W. Bush was diagnosed with Graves’ disease in 1991 and was treated with radioactive iodine. His wife, Barbara, was also diagnosed with Graves’ disease and so was their dog Millie!
- Actress Sofia Vergara has had thyroid cancer.
- Hilary Clinton, US Former first lady, Senator and Secretary of State, has hypothyroidism.
- Rapper Missy Elliott was diagnosed with Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism in 2008.
- TV personality Kelly Osbourne struggles with thyroid problems, namely hyperthyroidism, and attributes her weight fluctuations to them. She chooses not to be medicated for it.
- Actress Kim Cattrall has Hashimoto’s.
- Actress Gina Rodriguez has Hashimoto’s and Hypothyroidism.
- Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, President of Argentina, had thyroid cancer.
- Singer Dannii Minogue has had hypothyroidism
- Jeremy Vine, Journalist/broadcaster, has had an overactive thyroid.
- Runner Paula Radcliffe has had postpartum hyperthyroidism.
- Actress and singer Victoria Justice has Hashimoto’s.
- Singer Mick Hucknall has hypothyroidism.
- Model Gigi Hadid has Hashimoto’s.
- TV presenter and ‘expert cleaner’ Kim Woodburn has hypothyroidism.
- Footballer Ronaldo has hypothyroidism.
- Actress and soap star Bhavna Limbachia has Hypothyroidism.
- Oasis singer Liam Gallagher has Hashimoto’s.
- Keltie Knight, the television correspondent from Entertainment Tonight has hypothyroidism.
- Television presenter Anna Richardson, partner of Sue Perkins, has Hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism.
- Bernie Sanders, presidential candidate, has hypothyroidism.
- Muhammad Ali, professional boxer, had an underactive thyroid.
- Actress Jameela Jamil has Hashimoto’s.
- Fashion model Denise Richards has Hashimoto’s.
- Band CHIMAIRA’s frontman Mark Hunter was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
Do you know of any others? Let me know!
You can click on the hyperlinks in the above post to learn more and see references to information given.
Rachel Hill is the highly ranked and multi-award winning thyroid patient advocate, writer, blogger, speaker and author behind The Invisible Hypothyroidism. She has two books: ‘Be Your Own Thyroid Advocate‘ and ‘You, Me and Hypothyroidism‘. Her thyroid advocacy work includes authoring books, writing articles, blogging and speaking on podcasts. Rachel has worked with The National Academy of Hypothyroidism, BBC, The Mighty, Yahoo, MSN, ThyroidChange and more. She is well-recognised as a useful contributor to the thyroid community and has received multiple awards and recognitions for her work and dedication. Although British, she advocates for thyroid patients worldwide.