Click here to listen to a reading of this blog:
Here are 25 things I’ve learnt in 25 years.
Many of which have helped me make progress in both my mental and physical health.
1. There’s never a ‘perfect’ time for anything. Just better times and not as good times.
2. Instead of saying you want to do X, Y and Z, actually do it. It won’t happen unless you make it happen.
3. Not everyone is meant to stay in your life forever. They all, however, teach you something.
4. Trying to conform to society’s very narrow idea of perfection is impossible. And time wasting.
5. Life goes on.
6. Expecting as much from others what you give to them, immediately sets you up for disappointment.
7. In the grand scheme of life, most things aren’t worth worrying about and compromising your health over. Take a breather and let go. If it won’t matter in a years time, don’t spend a day worrying about it.
8. Stop living for the weekend/holiday/annual leave. Find a way to enjoy every day.
9. You can’t help everyone. If they don’t want your help, don’t bother.
10. Always have something you’re working towards such as a goal, aim or ambition, in order to be constantly developing as an individual.
11. Stop blaming other people for your misfortune. Focus on what you can do to change it instead. Resentment doesn’t solve anything. It’s pointless.
12. It’s good for your health to remove from your life those who cause you ill health or a lot of stress.
13. You always find out who you can really rely with big life events. They bring out the best and worst in people.
14. Work to live, don’t live to work.
15. You avoid negativity if you avoid gossip.
16. Things happen for a reason.
17. You tend to let different types of people see different amounts of the real you. For example, work colleagues and managers, close friends and family all see varying degrees of who you are. You tend to hold some of it back in a professional environment.
18. My gut instinct is always right.
19. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Be able to laugh at yourself and let loose. Life is more fun when you stop caring what others think.
20. Happiness isn’t a destination. It’s an emotion that sometimes you feel and sometimes you don’t. Just like the many other emotions you can feel in a given day. It’s unrealistic to aim for one specific emotion as your goal in life.
21. Worrying is like walking around with an umbrella in case it rains. Worrying doesn’t change anything, it just steals your energy.
22. Nothing brings me as much joy as laughing with friends.
23. A bad rom-com and duvet on the sofa solves most bad days.
24. You don’t know unless you try.
25. Not getting enough sleep makes everything worse.